Thursday, November 1, 2007

Clarence Thomas Quotes

In the latest issue of the Imprimis magazine is an interview with Hon. Clarence Thomas, Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court. Here are some of my favorite quotes from him:

Today we've grown comfortable with programs and theories, whether it's affirmative action or something else. Centralized governments always have grand theories and five-year-plans. But no government program could have done what my grandfather did for me and for others who needed help. It's the golden rule -- do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The golden rule can't operate through a government program, it can only work between people.


I often say "I don't hire women law clerks." People are shocked. But I don't hire women law clerks -- I hire the best law clerks. And it turns out that 30 percent of them happen to be women. If a woman graduates from law school and I say I'm going to hire her because I need a woman, that seems to be dehumanizing, and the job would be tainted.


We're too focused on the benefits of a civil society and we think too little about the obligations we have -- the obligations to be civil, to learn about our history and our government, to conduct ourselves in a disciplined way, to help others, to take care of our homes. Too many conversations today have to do with rights and wants. There is not enough talk about responsibilities and duties.


Have you ever read Modern Times, by Paul Johnson? ... One point it makes clearly is the connection between relativism, nihilism, and Naziism. The common idea that you can do whatever you want to do, because truth and morality are relative, leads to the idea that if you are powerful enough you can kill people because of their race or faith. So ask your relativist friens sometime: What is to keep me from getting a gang of people together and beating the hell out of you because I think you deserve to be beaten? Too many people thing that life and liberty are about their frivolous pleasures. There is more to life.

No comments: