Sunday afternoon, I went over to the Convention Center and picked up my badge and conference materials. I'm glad I did ... they gave me a really nice jacket and all the proceedings for all four days. I was able to bring that stuff back to the hotel rather than lug it around all day today.
In the late afternoon, my Missouri buddies called. We got the car and my camera was safely in the back seat. They took me sightseeing. We drove down the crookedest street in the world, then up to Coit Tower. On the way, we took a few streets that are just too steep to be believed. And pictures don't show it ... they tend to flatten things.
Coit Tower is atop one of the mountians right in the middle of town. We got tickets to go to the top. While we were there, the fog started to roll in off the ocean. Earlier in the day I had been regretting packing nothing but long-sleeved shirts, but by that time of the afternoon I was glad for them and my jacket. I'm used to fog that occurs when it's mostly calm, but this fog came with a stiff cool breeze.
We headed to the italian district, passing dozens of restaurants that looked unbelievably yummy. Alas, we could not find any place to park. It doesn't take you long to figure out why most people don't drive here. If you want to go somewhere, public transport and your two feet are the best choices. We ended up back at the hotel and set out walking. Not more than a couple of blocks down, we came across a little bistro with live jazz. One of my buddies said he had eaten there before, so we went in. The jazz show was excellent, and the food was filling. I had my tastebuds set for italian and I got chicken cordon bleu, but it was OK.
Today I start the conference that I came out here for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment